I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Mathematics at North Carolina State University. I work on
- Numerical Linear Algebra
- Inverse Problems and Imaging
- Uncertainty Quantification
with applications to medical imaging, environmental science, and other areas of scientific computing and data science.
My work is highly interdisciplinary; I am always looking to collaborate with researchers from mathematics, computer science, engineering, and medicine.
Office: 3118 SAS HAll
Phone number: (919)-513-2299
Awards and Honors
- DOE ASCR Award. Subcontract to NC State, amount: $510,000.
- NSF Award DMS-2026830. Role: PI. Amount to NC State: $161,944.
- NSF CAREER Award. Role: PI. Amount to NC State: $400,000.
- NSF Award DMS-1745654. Role: Senior Personnel. Amount to NC State: $2.1 Million.
- NSF Award DMS-1821149. Role: PI. Amount to NC State: $140, 000.
- Travel award to attend Householder XX symposium, 2017.
- NSF Award DMS-1720398. Role: PI. Amount to NC State: $104, 942.
- Featured article on Inverse Problems website and Highlights of 2015.
- SIAM Early career travel award to attend SIAM Geosciences (2015).
- Water Resources Research /Editor's Choice Award (awarded to 1% of all papers published in Water Resources Research, 2012).
- Second Place Poster Presentation award, SIAM CSE '13, (2013).
- JNCASR Summer undergraduate research fellowship (2006).
Students and Postdocs
- Abraham Khan (PhD, 2022-Present)
- Madhusudan Madhavan (PhD, 2022-Present), joint with Alen Alexanderian
- Khalil Hall-Hooper (PhD, 2021-Present)
- Megan Pryor, joint with Eric Hallman (Undergraduate, 2020-2021)
- William Reese (PhD, 2019-Present)
- Ethan Dudley, joint with Alen Alexanderian (Masters, 2018-2020)
- Elizabeth Hermann, joint with Alen Alexanderian (PhD, 2017-2020)
- Rachel Minster (PhD, 2017-2020)
- Katrina Petroske (PhD, 2016-2020)
- Valerie Taylor (Masters, 2017-2018)
- Dr. Sarah Vallelian website (2015-2017)
- September 2022. I welcomed two new PhD students, Madhusudan and Abraham.
- January 2022. I was elected as the SIAM Activity Group on Linear Algebra, and I am on the Editorial Board of SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications.
- July 12-23, 2021. I ran the second year of the outreach workshop to develop teaching materials that can be used in high-school curriculum.
- May 24-26, 2021. I was a coorganizer for the Transition Worskhop of the SAMSI program on Numerical Analysis in Data Science.
- March, 2021. Rachel successfully passed her defense. Congrats Rachel! She will work with Grey Ballard at Wake Forest University.
- August 26-27, 2021. I was a coorganizer for the Opening Worskhop of the SAMSI program on Numerical Analysis in Data Science.
- July 13-24, 2020. I worked with three wonderful high-school teachers to develop new teaching materials that can be used in high-school curriculum. It is also made it to the department homepage.
- July 6, 2020. I gave a tutorial on Randomized Numerical Linear Algebra at SIAM/CAIMS Annual Meeting 2020. Thanks to Joseph Hart and Dale Smith for the invitation.
- April 29. 2020. Elizabeth successfully defended her thesis. Congrats Elizabeth! She will join Katrina at the Johns Hopkins APL.
- April 15, 2020. Ethan Dudley will start a PhD position at University of Maryland. Congrats Ethan!
- March 26, 2020: I gave a talk at the ICERM's Algorithms for Dimension and Complexity Reduction Workshop, virtually of course. Here is a video of my talk.
- March 2, 2020: Katrina successfully defended her thesis. Congrats Katrina! She will start a job at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory.
- February 1, 2020: Irina Kogan and I coorganized a workshop along with the Triangle Math Circle. Dr. Linda Green led a discussion on 'The Watermelon Problem – Slicing and Dicing with Lines and Planes', and I talked about `Imaging – “Seeing” what is Invisible to others'.
- October 11, 2019: I gave a talk in the Applied Mathematics Seminar, Michigan State University. Thanks Yang Yang for hosting me!
- October 5-6, 2019: Our department is celebrating its 130th year anniversary.
- September 19-20, 2019: I gave a talk at the Smith Colloquium, Kansas University, Lawrence. Thanks to Agnieszka Miedlar and Paul Cazeaux for hosting me!
- August 4, 2019: I spoke in a minisymposium at Conference on Modern Challenges in Imaging: In the Footsteps of Allan MacLeod Cormack On the Fortieth Anniversary of his Nobel Prize. Excited to be a part of this conference! I got to meet the family of Allan Cormack.
- July 15-25 2019: I was a Faculty Mentor in the IMSM 2019 Graduate Student Workshop.
- April 2019: Rachel Minster successfully passed her qualifying exam. Congrats Rachel!
- May 2019: I gave a talk to the Triangle Math Teacher's circle on the mathematics behind medical imaging.
- April 2019: Elizabeth Herman successfully passed her qualifying exam. Congrats Elizabeth!
- March 2019: I gave a talk at SIAM Geosciences. Thanks to Sanghyun, Jonghyun and Matthew for the invitation.
- February 2019: Our group visited Spokane for the SIAM CSE Conference 2019!
- Katrina won a best poster prize! She presented in the AWM session. Congrats, Katrina!
- Rachel gave a talk in a session that I coorganized with Misha Kilmer.
- Elizabeth gave a talk in an OED session.
- I gave a talk in an Inverse problems session. Thanks to James, Andreas, and George for the invitation.
- February 2019: The College of Science wrote a nice article on my NSF CAREER award.
- October 2018: Our RTG group was featured on the College of Science website.
- July 15-25, 2018: I was a Faculty Mentor in the IMSM 2018 Graduate Student Workshop.
- A minisymposim organized in collaboration with Julianne Chung and Eric de Sturler was featured in SIAM News.
- May 2, 2018: Katrina successfully passes her preliminary exam. Congrats Katrina!
- April 17, 2018: I gave a talk at SIAM Conference on Uncertainty Quantification.
- March 25-30, 2018: Visited Copper Mountain conference on iterative methods. Katrina and I gave presentations here.
- March 22, 2018: Valerie successfully defended her Master's thesis on the Birkhoff von Neumann decomposition. Congrats Valerie!
- March 9-11, 2018: Katrina, Elizabeth and I gave presentations at the SIAM SEAS conference 2018. Rachel presented her poster and won a poster prize. Congrats Rachel!
- Katrina was awarded the Givens Fellowship, Argonne National Laboratories. Congrats, Katrina!
- PhD, Stanford University, 2013. Advisor: Prof. Peter Kitanidis.
- MS, Stanford University, 2010.
- B. Tech, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, India, 2007.